LESSON 17 We are seven
第十七課 我們是七個
I met a little cottage girl,
我遇到了一個女孩的小屋,
She was eight years old, she said;
她八歲的時候,她說;
Her hair was thick with many a curl
她的頭發(fā)是厚許多旋度
That clustered round her head.
集群圓她的頭。
Sisters and brothers, little maid,
兄弟姐妹,小女仆,
How many may you be?"
你們是幾個人?”
How many? seven in all," she said,
有多少?七,”她說,
And, wondering, looked at me.
思考著看著我。
And where are they, I pray you tell?"
他們在哪兒,我請求你告訴?”
She answered, "Seven are we;
她回答說,“我們一共七個;
And two of us at Conway dwell,
我們兩個人住在康威,
And two are gone to sea;
兩人去了海邊;
Two of us in the churchyard lie,
兩個躺在墓地,
My sister and my brother;
我的姐姐和我的哥哥;
And in the churchyard cottage I
,我在教堂墓地小屋
Dwell near them with my mother."
和我媽媽住在他們附近。”
You say that two at Conway dwell,
你說,兩個在康威住,
And two are gone to sea,
和兩個都去大海,
Yet ye are seven; I pray you tell,
是的你們是七;求你告訴
Sweet maid, how this may be?"
我可愛的小女傭,這里有幾個?”
Then did the little maid reply,
那時小女傭回答,
Seven boys and girls are we;
我們七個男孩和女孩;
Two of us in the churchyard lie,
我們兩個在教堂墓地撒謊,
Beneath the churchyard tree."
教堂墓地樹下。”
You run about, my little maid,
你到處跑,我的小女仆,
Your limbs they are alive;
你的四肢活著;
If two are in the churchyard laid
如果兩個都在教堂墓地
Then ye are only five."
然后你們只有五個。”
Their graves are green, they may be seen."
他們的墳墓是綠色的,他們可能見過。”
The little maid replied,
小女仆回答說:
Twelve steps or more from my mother's door.
十二個步驟或更多從我母親的門。
And they are side by side.
和他們肩并肩。
My stockings there I often knit,
我的長襪,我經常編織,
My 'kerchief there I hem;
我的手帕,我哼哼;
And there upon the ground I sit,—
我坐在地上,-
I sit and sing to them.
我坐著唱歌。
And often after sunset, sir,
往往日落之后,先生,
When it is light and fair,
當它是光和公平的,
I take my little porringer
我把我的小粥碗
And eat my supper there.
和吃我的晚餐。
The first that died was little Jane:
第一個死亡的是小珍:
In bed she moaning lay,
她呻吟著躺在床上,
Till God released her of her pain,
直到上帝釋放她的痛苦,
And then she went away.
然后她就走了。
So in the churchyard she was laid;
所以在教堂墓地,她了;
And, all the summer dry,
所有的夏季干燥,
Together round her grave we played,
我們一起圍著她墳墓,
My brother John and I.
我的兄弟我和約翰。
"And when the ground was white with snow,
當雪的地面是白色的,
And I could run and slide.
我可以運行和幻燈片。
My brother John was forced to go;
我的哥哥約翰被迫去;
And he lies by her side."
和他躺在她身邊。”
How many are you, then," said I,
你是多少,我說,
If they two are in heaven?"
如果他們兩個是在天堂嗎?”
The little maiden would reply,
小少女會回復,
O master! we are seven."
啊,主人!我們是七個。”
But they are dead, those two are dead,
但他們都死了,這兩個都死了,
Their spirits are in heaven."—
他們的精神是在天堂。”-
'Twas throwing words away; for still
是扔的話,仍然
The little maid would have her will,
小女仆會她,
And said, "Nay, we are seven."
說,不,我們是七個。”
—Wordsworth
—華滋華斯