今天就來講一講除了hear和listen,“聽見”的15種英語表達。
1. overhear
1. 無意中聽到,偶然聽到
I overheard a very funny conversation on the bus this morning.
今天早上我坐公共汽車時,無意中聽到一段好笑的談話。
2. mishear
2. 聽錯,誤聽
I'm sure I didn't say that! You must have misheard (me).
我肯定沒說過那句話!你一定是聽錯了。
3. keep your ear to the ground
3. 耳聽八方;保持關注
Peter'll know; he always keeps an ear to the ground.
彼得會知道的,他耳聽八方。
4. catch
4. 聽見,聽到
I couldn't catch what the announcer said, with all the other noise going on.
這么吵,我聽不清播音員在說什么。
5. eavesdrop
5. 偷聽
He was eavesdropping on our conversation.
他在偷聽我們談話。
6. listen in on sth/sb
6. 偷聽,竊聽
I wish Dad would stop listening in on my phone conversations.
我希望爸爸不再偷聽我的電話。
7. strain your ears
7. 豎起耳朵聽
I was straining my ears to hear what they were saying.
我豎起耳朵聽他們在說什么。
8. in/within earshot
8. 聽力范圍之內
8. out of earshot
8. 聽不見
I don't think you should say anything while the boss is still in/within earshot.
我覺得,老板還沒走遠你應該什么也別說。
Wait till she's out of earshot before you say anything.
等她走遠聽不見了,你再說不遲。
9. hang on someone’s every word
9. 仔細聽某人說話
Her audience were hanging on her every word.
她使聽眾聽得入神。
10. ears prick up
10. 側耳傾聽
My ears pricked up because I heard them mention Jonathan.
他們一提到喬納森我耳朵都豎起來了。
11. listen out for
11. 等著聽,注意聽
Would you listen out for the phone while I'm in the garden?
我在花園里的時候你幫我聽著點電話好嗎?
12. must be hearing things
12. 我想我一定是聽錯了(表示不相信某事)
He's offered to wash the dishes - I must be hearing things.
他主動提出要洗盤子——我一定是聽錯了。
13. not hear the end/last of sth
13. 反復聽,沒完沒了地聽
We'll never hear the last of it if they win that competition.
如果他們贏了那場比賽,我們的耳根就不得清靜了。
14.hear sb out
14. 聽(某人)說完
At least hear me out before making up your mind.
你作決定之前至少先聽我說完。
15. be all ears
15. 全神貫注地聽;洗耳恭聽
I'm all ears - tell us what they had to say.
我洗耳恭聽——快告訴我們他們怎么說的。