在沙漠、巖石、雪地上行走了很長的時間以后,
the little prince at last came upon a road.
小王子終于發(fā)現了一條大路。
And all roads lead to theabodes of men.
所有的大路都是通往人住的地方的。
"Good morning," he said.
“你們好。”小王子說。
He was standing before a garden, all a-bloom with roses.
這是一個玫瑰盛開的花園。
"Good morning," said the roses.
“你好。”玫瑰花說道。
The little prince gazed at them. They all looked like his flower.
小王子瞅著這些花,它們全都和他的那朵花一樣。
"Who are you?" he demanded, thunderstruck.
“你們是什么花?”小王子驚奇地問。
"We are roses," the roses said.
“我們是玫瑰花。”花兒們說道。
And he was overcome with sadness.
他感到自己非常不幸。
His flower had told him that she wasthe only one of her kind in all the universe.
他的那朵花曾對他說她是整個宇宙中獨一無二的一種花。
And here were five thousand of them, all alike, in one single garden!
可是,僅在這一座花園里就有五千朵完全一樣的這種花朵!
"She would be very much annoyed," he said to himself, if she should see that... she would cough most dreadfully, and she would pretend that she wasdying, to avoid being laughed at.
小王子自言自語地說,如果她看到這些,她是一定會很惱火…她會咳嗽得更厲害,并且為避免讓人恥笑,她會佯裝死去。
And I should be obliged to pretend that I was nursing her back to life,
那么,我還得裝著去護理她,
for if I did not do that, to humble myself also, she would really allow herself to die...
為如果不這樣的話,她為了使我難堪,她可能會真的死去…
Then he went on with his refections, thought that I was rich, with a flower that was unique in all the world; and all I had was a common rose.
接著他又說道,我還以為我有一朵獨一無二的花呢,我有的僅是一朵普通的花。
A common rose, and three volcanoes that come up to my knees– and one of them perhaps extinct forever.
這朵花,再加上三座只有我膝蓋那么高的火山,而且其中一座還可能是永遠熄滅了的,
that doesn't make me a very great prince...
這一切不會使我成為一個了不起的王子…
And he lay down in the grass and cried.
于是,他躺在草叢中哭泣起來。