I sponged the wound, cleaned it, dressed it, and finally covered it over with cotton wadding and carbolized bandages.
我用海綿洗滌了傷口,揩拭干凈,將它敷裹好,最后用脫脂棉和消毒繃帶將它包扎起來。
He lay back without wincing, though he bit his lip from time to time.
他躺在那里,并沒有因為疼痛而動一動,盡管他不時地咬緊牙關。
"How is that?" I asked when I had finished.
包扎好后,我問道,"現在您覺得怎樣?"
"Capital! Between your brandy and your bandage, I feel a new man.
"好極了,您的白蘭地和繃帶,使我覺得自己變成另外一個人了。
I was very weak, but I have had a good deal to go through."
原先我非常虛弱,但是我還有許多事情要辦。"
"Perhaps you had better not speak of the matter. It is evidently trying to your nerves."
"我看您最好還是別談這件事。很明顯,這對您的神經是一種折磨。"
"Oh, no, not now. I shall have to tell my tale to the police;
"噢,不會,現在不會了。我還得把這樁事報告警察;
but, between ourselves, if it were not for the convincing evidence of this wound of mine,
但是,不瞞您說,如果我不是有這個傷口為證的話,
I should be surprised if they believed my statement;
他們會相信我的話才怪呢,
for it is a very extraordinary one, and I have not much in the way of proof with which to back it up;
因為這是一件極不尋常的事,而我又沒有什么證據足以證明我的話是真實的。
and, even if they believe me, the clues which I can give them are so vague that it is a question whether justice will be done."
況且,即使他們相信我,我所能提供的線索也是非常模糊的,他們是否會為我主持正義還是個問題。"
"Ha!" cried I, "if it is anything in the nature of a problem which you desire to see solved,
"嘿!"我喊道,"如果您真想解決什么問題,
I should strongly recommend you to come to my friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, before you go to the official police."
我倒要向您大力推薦我的朋友福爾摩斯先生。在你去找警察之前,不妨先去找他。"
"Oh, I have heard of that fellow," answered my visitor,
"噢,我聽說過這個人,"我的客人回答說,
"and I should be very glad if he would take the matter up, though of course I must use the official police as well.
"假如他受理這個案子,我將非常高興,盡管同時也要報告警察。
Would you give me an introduction to him?"
您能為我介紹一下嗎?"
"I'll do better. I'll take you round to him myself."
"豈止為您介紹,我還要親自陪您去走一趟。"
"I should be immensely obliged to you."
"那就太感謝您了!"
"We'll call a cab and go together.
"我們雇一輛馬車一塊兒走。
We shall just be in time to have a little breakfast with him. Do you feel equal to it?"
我們還來得及趕上同他一起吃點早餐。您覺得這樣做身體行嗎?"
"Yes; I shall not feel easy until I have told my story."
"行,不講講我的遭遇,我心里就覺得不舒坦。"
"Then my servant will call a cab, and I shall be with you in an instant."
"那么,讓我的傭人去雇一輛馬車。我去去馬上就來。"
I rushed upstairs, explained the matter shortly to my wife,
我匆匆跑到樓上,簡單地對妻子解釋了幾句,
and in five minutes was inside a hansom, driving with my new acquaintance to Baker Street.
五分鐘后,我和這位新相識,已坐上一輛雙輪小馬車直奔貝克街。